Monday 17 May 2010

messing about with expensive equipment

 I had an idea in the back of my mind to try inkjet printing on fabric.  The ready- prepared fabric  you can buy is good but limits the type/texture/colour of fabric you can use. So I thought I'd have a go at preparing my own.

All the information on this I could get from the internet recommended using freezer paper which cannot be purchased locally for love or money. Now, the whole idea of the freezer paper is to  stick to and stiffen the fabric enough for it to go through the printer rollers without buckling and snagging. So this morning I assembled a whole group of products to see what else would work .

Bondaweb, fabric glue, spray on photomount glue....( and some screwdrivers in case I had to dismantle the printer to unclog it)
Long story short.....  I didn't even try the other stuff

this won hands down!

I sprayed a very light coating on to ordinary printer paper and stuck it to the very well ironed cotton fabric.  I smoothed it out so there were absolutley no bubbles or wrinkles, trimed the fabric to the exact size of the paper, and spent a moment pulling off any stray fraying threads etc. I made sure the leading edge ( the one that will go into the printer first) was securely stuck to the paper,
put it in  the printer fabric side down ( most printers work like this) and ....... clicked Print












well- this was not a bad first go. I tried again and












Brilliant!

Dizzy with sucess -I tried slubbed silk











muslin- gave a beautiful ghost image












and some rather nasty blue polyester lining fabric









which gave a really crisp print that was equally clear on both sides of the fabric

I was really getting into my stride when the printer ran out of ink!

The fabric peeled off the paper with ease , leaving the glue on the paper not the fabric!!!!.
The feel of the fabric isnt affected, and I am assured that a hot iron will fix the ink.
I haven't tried washing it yet, though.


Off to Cartridge World- did I mention that the only fluid more expensive than vintage champange, pint for pint, is inkjet printer ink?

No comments: