Wednesday 28 September 2011

Kindle covers and trips out

Life has been a bit brisk lately- But in keeping with my therapy I have to do more things for myself...so in the last 2 weeks I have made a fabric from gauze scraps, designed and made a kindle cover with them, and been to see 2 out of 3 textile exhibitions. I have yet to sort out the building work I'm having, or  arrange my finances....but the important stuff  has been done!

First... The Kindle cover....

I made the fabric by bonding bits and pieces of lace and gauze to calico.










Then I machined on some fancy and metallic threads














Then I used it to cover some felt padded mount-board  to give a hard protective shell, and added elastic straps.....And a beaded self-cover button.

Just to be sure - I held the whole thing over my bed and shook it like a terrier with a squeeky toy...  The Kindle never budged!

I'd call this a success.


I got to see the Starstuck exhibition at the Ulster Museum- such lovely costumes... took a few close up photos of the embroidery and beading but failed to note which was which....
So have some fun guessing at these.....







I also called in at the "through the eye of the needle" exhibition in Armagh... Some beautiful work on display. - not allowed to use the camera.  I loved Armagh museum - it was full of  old fashioned dark wood cabinets with typed ( on a remmington, not a pc!) labels. Well worth a visit.

And in case you were wondering about the 3rd exhibition- I've arranged to see Frankie Creiff's exhibition at Lisbane old postoffice tomorrow


1 comment:

Olive said...

love the kindle cover - I should take a leaf out of your book and make more time for me. Didn't get to see the exhibition in the museum but must try and get down to Lisbane at the weekend