Thursday 1 September 2011

Trying to find my inner embroiderer.....

I've done no embroidery  for a long while....so I needed to put some jump leads on my creativity.  Feeling dull and bereft of ideas, I scheduled a morning at my table. ( literally put it in my diary a week ahead, and treated it like an appointment- so I didn't find myself starting to to clean the bathroom, or refold laundry , or any of the other time stealing diversionary tasks that we do instead....)

I  had no new ideas , so I dug out some old drawings I made years ago when I had been working with images of wrought iron gates.





I painted some satin, traced the design onto some calico to back it, and machined the design. The result was inoffensive, but a little dull.









So I pinned on a few scraps of gauze and painted scrim,









ferreted out some hand- sewing threads,











A few rows of running stitch, and I cut back the  scrim-
much better......

I shisha'd on a couple of recycled dental mirrors-(well washed!!!) and added a raised wheel...a few beads....and there it is.










Its not the most exciting or cutting edge piece ever made.... but I'm pleased with it

 I've got my inner embroiderer back!!!!!

Can't wait for our day out at folk museum!


No comments: